With the average monthly gym membership ringing up for nearly $60 a month and exercise facilities becoming ever more crowded, it probably doesn’t surprise you to learn that home gyms are on the rise. Coupled with online fitness programs—which are easy to access from your phone, TV or even the screen on your treadmill—and wearable fitness devices, there are fewer things drawing the health-conscious into the traditional gym.
If you’re interested in capitalizing on this ever-growing trend, you’ll appreciate this guide to the best home exercise equipment for weight loss. We’re focusing on the machines, systems and accessories designed specifically for rapid calorie-burning to help you quickly shed the pounds.
- A Treadmill—Did you know that a 155-pound person can burn nearly 300 calories per half hour running a 12-minute mile, according to Harvard Health? Jogging is one of the most efficient exercises you can do to burn calories, joining bicycling, swimming and competitive racquetball as the quickest energy-burners out there. Investing in a home treadmill is a great idea because it gives you any time access to this excellent activity, even if it’s cold, snowing or raining out. And since it’s one of the most time-tested pieces of home gym equipment, there are treadmills available in virtually every size and budget imaginable.
- An Elliptical—Want as much of the calorie-burning potential as the treadmill without all the strain on your joints? Then you need an elliptical machine. These cardio wonder-workers target a ton of the body’s muscle groups, including the legs, glutes, hips, arms, back, shoulders and chest. However, unlike a treadmill, the elliptical facilitates low-impact activity, simulating a natural running motion without having to take your feet off the ground. The result is an excellent workout that won’t trigger any residual joint pain.
- An Exercise Bike—With fitness crazes like SoulCycle dominating the scene, stationary exercise bikes are the trendiest cardio machines of the moment. You can rapidly burn calories by following the preset fitness programs on your bike or by following an online cycling class using your smartphone or tablet. Many modern exercise bikes (and treadmills and ellipticals for that matter) feature built-in screens, many of which come with video cycling classes that you can follow from home.
- A Rowing Machine—To lose weight and give yourself an amazing full-body workout, consider a home rowing machine. Rowing is one of the most effective forms of full-body aerobic activity, bringing many impressive health benefits. In addition to weight loss, rowing can help you build your stamina, condition your upper body and enjoy low-impact cardio with less strain on the joints. Like most other home workout machines, the higher-end rowing machines come with screens featuring interactive trainers and entertainment.
- A Jump Rope—Who says calorie-burning has to involve any bulky, expensive equipment or electricity? Let’s take things back to the basics with the jump rope. According to Harvard Health, this simple little rope can help you burn between 300 and 450 calories per half hour. The great thing is—though they bring as much fitness potential as some of the amazing options listed above—jump ropes are very affordable, with options ringing up for under $10. However, there are some considerations to keep in mind. Jumping rope can get old quickly, and it’s one of the rougher high-impact activities, causing strain on the knees and hips.
Create a Home Gym You Love
Exercise equipment is only as good as your desire to use it. The key to building an inviting home gym is to make a place where you want to spend time. Adding a TV, a speaker system and accessories that make you happy will help ensure that you get the most out of your home exercise equipment. And when you enjoy what you’re doing, the weight loss will come easy!