Cruise through the profile of any popular Instagram foodie from a big city and you’re bound to encounter a gallery filled with over-the-top desserts: Colossal cookies, ornate cakes, and overflowing frozen treats decorated like a child’s sugar-fueled dream. We’ve grown fond of the type of milk shakes made popular by a variety of Chicagoland establishments, which manage to fit all of our favorite treats into one colorful drink. But sometimes you want to spend a lazy summer evening slurping a sugary shake without having to put on shoes and fight traffic to get to the neighborhood hotspot. So we figured we’d have a crack at crafting these confections, and ended up with these glorious Birthday Cake Shakes.
Not only do they taste great—combining a variety of textures and flavors into one ultimate dessert—but they look downright amazing as well. We spent so much time photographing them that they’d nearly melted before we had a chance to try them. Best of all, there’s no wrong way to make them. Add whatever toppings you’d like
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup Funfetti dry cake mix
- 1 cup of whole milk
- Cake frosting
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Whipped cream
- Assorted candy
- Mason jars or milk bottles
- Before we make the shakes, we’re going to prep our glasses. Cover the rim of the glass with a liberal coating of frosting. To create the dripping effect, microwave the glass for about 20 seconds, or until the frosting gets runny. Add sprinkles to the frosting, then put the glasses in the freezer.
- Add ice cream, milk, and cake mix to your blender. Blend on low speed until the ingredients are mixed, then switch to high speed and blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour the shake into chilled, frosted glasses, then top with whipped cream. Decorate your shakes with assorted candies, more sprinkles, bits of cookies and donuts, or anything your sweet tooth desires. Enjoy!