Depending on your household, Christmas morning is either a chance for some quiet reflection, or a mad dash to open presents as soon as the sun breaks the horizon. Maybe it’s a bit of both. Whether you’re planning on unwinding or unwrapping, the family will need some fuel. These Cranberry Streusel muffins are perfect for a cold winter morning, and ideal if you know you’ve got a large holiday feast later in the day. They’re comforting without being too filling, and sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. Pair them with a hot cup of joe or a tall glass of milk, and enjoy your Christmas morning.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup yogurt (full fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- Streusel Topping:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 375°F, and line a muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, add the streusel ingredients: sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and flour. Stir the ingredients until they form large clumps.
- In a large mixing bowl, make the base of the muffin batter. First mix the canola oil, sugar, and salt together. Then add in the egg, yogurt and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Once thoroughly whisked, add it to the wet mixture in the large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Gently fold cranberries into the muffin batter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup halfway with batter. Sprinkle a generous tablespoon of streusel onto each cup, then top with more batter. When all muffin cups are filled, use the remaining stresuel and sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 19 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before serving.