Ironically, the sources of all cloud-based services are giant data centers plastered to the Earth. However, the obvious “cloud” element to these services resides in their wireless capabilities. Do you own an iPhone, Android or Windows phone? Do you have important information stored on your home computers? If you do, Apple, Google or Microsoft and many cloud based backup companies offer you a grocery list of cloud services. These cloud-based services have come a long way. Massive updates in the last few months have really pushed them to new limits. Knowing your Smartphone’s cloud based service options and picking out a cloud based home backup service are two good simple ways to take advantage of the mighty cloud.
Smartphone Cloud Service breakdown(Apple/Microsoft /Google)
Apple’s iCloud Core Services:
- Photo Stream is an amazing and fully automated solution for ensuring your pictures easily flow among all devices and can be shared. Also, the sharing quality is better than most big software photo companies.
- Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Reminders & your iCloud.com Email sync seamlessly throughout your Apple hardware
- If you’re Apple ID doesn’t end in “icloud.com” then you’ll find some limitations to this service. Notes & Mail primarily (however, it’s usually not a big deal as there are ways around it)
- Also, This system is just fantastic if you have all Mac product. Throw a PC with Outlook into the equation and it starts to get sloppy
- When Apple turned “Mobile Me” into “iCloud” they got rid of idisk. So now, Unlike Google’s Drive or Microsofts Skydrive, Apple’s data hides inside it’s apps. Word docs hide inside Pages, Excel files hide inside Numbers, Powerpoint presentations hide inside Keynote and PDF files hide inside iBooks. Want to save something other than that in your 5GB of storage? Too bad. Want to organize your docs into nice categorizing folders? Think again.
- 5GB Free total storage for below services
- Backup: Cloud based backup system for iOS devices
- Mail, Contacts, Notes, Reminders & Calendar syncing: affirmative
- Find My iPhone: Cloud based app to find, message, lock or wipe iOS device(s)
- Pages, Numbers & Keynote: Cloud based apps similar to Word, Excel & Powerpoint. Each App is also going to store its corresponding file types. Exa: you can store your word docs inside the app Pages.
- My Photo Stream&Shared Photo Stream: Automatic Photo syncing cloud service