The smell of ginger, cinnamon, peppermint or sugar cookies baking in the oven bring back memories of Christmas when I was younger. Make some of your own holiday memories this season through the art of pastry making. From making gingerbread cookies, to rugelach, Abt’s Gourmet shop has exactly what you need. Choose from different stand mixers, to blenders and even cooking utensils. Below is a recipe for gingerbread cookies I made a few weeks ago.
3 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup of unsalted butter
½ cup molasses
½ cup packed sugar
¼ cup water
1 small egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, cloves and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix butter, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg and vanilla until smooth.
3. Slowly add both bowls together until they are completely absorbed. Once pliable, split dough into thirds. Wrap each in plastic wrap and put in fridge for at least 2 hours. You can even leave it overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is prepping, roll out the dough into ¼ thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place each cookie 1 inch apart onto a cookie sheet. Use a little pan spray to lubricate.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the oven. When cookies are finished, remove and set cookies onto wire racks to cool. When fully cooled, you can add icing however you wish.
What are some of your favorite recipes?