We’re whipping up some spooky Halloween treats this year, and they are frightfully delicious. Abt’s Gourmet Shop can provide you the essential cooking gadgets to help make your party a hit. To get the ideas going, we posted some recipes for you. Try them out, if you dare…
This spooky treat consists of delicious chocolate mousse, Oreo cookies and bones! A hand mixer will work best for this dessert, making it so decadent and creamy. Check out our line of hand mixers in our Gourmet Shop.
For Chocolate mousse
- 5 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream
- 3 large egg white at room temperature
For Graveyard topping
- 1 cup crushed Oreo cookies
- 1 package Milano cookies
- Candy bones
- Brown icing (used for writing on Milano cookie) or edible writing pen
Directions for Chocolate Mousse
1. Fill up a saucepan with 2 in of water and have water simmer over medium heat.
2. Place chocolate and ¼ of heavy cream in a large heat safe bowl (Put remaining cream in the fridge for later use). Hold the bowl over saucepan making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Melt chocolate, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula until smooth, mixed in with cream. Remove the bowl from the saucepan, set aside to cool for a bit.
3. Place egg whites in a second large bowl and use a hand mixer or whisk by hand to whisk egg whites for about 3 minutes.(Make sure mixer and bowl do not have any traces of fat or oil, or else whites will not whip properly). Set aside when done.
4. Clean and dry your beaters or whisk. Place the remaining ¾ cup heavy cream into a third bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
5. Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate. Gently stir in the rest, try not to deflate the whip cream. Then gently fold in the egg whites into the chocolate-cream mix until there is no more blobs of egg whites or whipped cream. Do not over mix.
6. Pipe mousse into serving cups using a pastry bag and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Directions for Toppings
1.Using a food processor, dump Oreo cookies in and crush the cookies until they have a soil-like texture. Best if there are little clumps of cookies in mix. Put the crumbs in a bowl then set aside. This will be used as dirt.
2.Take a Milano cookie and break it in half. Using brown icing or an edible writing pen, write RIP on both halves.
The Final Touches
1. Remove cups of mousse from fridge once chilled.
2. Sprinkle crushed Oreo mix on top
3. Sprinkles candy bones on top of Oreo crumbs
4. Stick RIP Milano cookie in mousse
Cobwebs? Don’t let that fool you. This snack is filled with cheesy goodness and super easy to make! Take a look at our turners and spatulas to mix up and scoop up your cheddar cobweb mix!
- 1 cup grated yellow cheddar
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, toss cheddar with flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Drop mixture by tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets, flatten into 3 in rounds (6 rounds per sheet)
2. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and bubbling. With a thin spatula, transfer crisps onto a plate to cool.